More information about Tuusula for travellers:
The Anti-Aircraft Museum exhibits the history and development of anti-aircraft warfare in Finland. The battle position in the yard comprises several anti-aircraft guns, radars and alike. Museum shop and café.
Klaavolantie 3, Tuusula. Tel. +358 40 314 3460
Opposite to the Anti-Aircraft Museum is Klaavola, a museum of local history and culture that provides glimpse of the everyday life of a family farm in the Uusimaa region. The rooms of this two hundred year old main building are decorated in the style of early decades of the 20th century. The barns, plough shed and sauna in the yard complete the picture.
Open: by appointment
Worker's home museum
Kirkkotie 21, Tuusula. Tel. +358 400 955 255
The museum comprises a cobbler's workshop and a carpenter's home from the early 20th century in a former verger's house opposite to the Tuusula church. Besides a permanent exhibition, the museum also organizes theme exhibitions to visualize the heritage of local handicraft as well as work demonstrations from tar burning to the daily activities of the village smith.
Kirkkotie 34, Tuusula. Tel. +358 9 875 960
http://www.tuusulanseurakunta.fi/ (in Finnish)
The beautiful greyish cruciform church of Tuusula was built in 1734. The construction foreman was author Aleksis Kivi's great-great grandfather Erik Eskilsson Hannula. The church is modestly decorated and a devout atmosphere is created through stained-glass windows and an altarpiece by Johan Asplund dating back to the 1850's. Aleksis Kivi and and painter Pekka Halonen are buried in the small churchyard.
1.6.–31.7. Mon–Fri 10–18, Sun 12–18
Other times by appointment.
Aleksis Kivi Memorial Cottage
Rantatie, Tuusula. Tel. +358 40 314 3471
Finland's great author Aleksis Kivi (1834–1872) spent his last months in the cottage in the care of his brother's family. Seven Brothers and Heath Cobblers are among his best-known works. The memorial cottage reminds us of the times before the renowned villas and the artists' community. The beautiful Fjällbo park close to the parking space opens up to the lake.
1 May – 31 Aug Tue–Sun 11am–6pm
1 Sep – 10 Oct Sat–Sun 12am–5pm
Poet J. H. Erkko (1849–1906) had his house built at road Rantatie in 1902. Today Erkkola hosts club evenings, concerts, lectures, plays, small-scale exhibitions and other events. Erkkola shares the parking space with the Aleksis KiviMemorial Cottage.
Rantatie 39, Tuusula. Tel. +358 9 274 1077
The original Syväranta villa was built in 1869. In the 1920’s it served as a guesthouse, in the 1930’s as a training center of the Lotta Svärd organisation, a voluntary auxiliary paramilitary organisation for women. The original villa was destroyed by fire in 1947. It was rebuilt in 1995 and now houses the Lotta Museum. The exhibition depicts the history of the organisation and the various activities and tasks of its members. Museum shop and café.
Halosenniemi is the studio and home of painter Pekka Halonen (1865-1933) built in 1902. The house has been restored to its original glory and today houses an art museum exhibiting the works of Halonen and other artists. Also concerts and lectures are organised. The ticket office comprises a small café and a museum shop.
Kasarmi Art Centre
Jääkärinpolku 2, Tuusula. Tel. +358 40 314 3462
http://www.taidekeskuskasarmi.fi/ (in Finnish)
The Kasarmi Art Centre is set up in a military hospital built in 1915. The museum organizes changing exhibitions and its activities include workshops for both children and adults, performances and concerts. Museum shop.
Closed for renovation until the summer of 2020
More information about culture and museums at Tuusula >